This chicken and vegetable lasagne is a great alternative to the usual beef lasagne, and is packed full of vegetables and cheese. We suggest making a double and and freezing the remainder for a later date, it can be frozen for up to 2 months.
To keep this recipe as cheap as possible, compare the cost of pre-made chicken mince and chicken thighs; chicken thighs can easily be minced in a food processor.
Compare the cost of ricotta in both the cheese section of your supermarkets deli department and the dairy section, often ricotta is cheaper in the cheese section of the deli department.
Chicken and vegetable lasagne recipe
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 500 Grams chicken mince
- 2 zucchinis, grated
- 1 sweet potato, skin on, grated
- 690g jar tomato passata
- 400g can diced tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon chicken stock powder
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 500g ricotta
- 250g frozen spinach, thawed according to packet directions
- 1/4 Cup parmesan, finely grated
- Pinch Nutmeg
- 250g lasagne sheets
- 1 cup tasty cheese, grated
- Preheat oven to 200c. Heat the oil in a large frying pan and cook mince over medium heat until chicken is cooked through. Add the zucchini and sweet potato and cook, stirring, until vegetables start to soften. Stir in the tomato passata, diced tomatoes, chicken stock powder, dried oregano and season to taste with salt and pepper. Bring to a simmer, then remove from heat and set aside.
- Using a fork, mash the ricotta, defrosted spinach, parmesan and nutmeg together in a bowl.
- Spread 1/4 of the chicken mixture over the base of an ovenproof baking dish and top with a layer of pasta. Spread 1/3 of the remaining chicken mixture of the pasta, then top with another layer of pasta. Spread the ricotta mixture over the pasta and top with another layer of pasta. Cover with 1/2 the remaining chicken mixture, add the final layer of pasta and top with the remaining chicken mixture.
- Cover the baking dish with foil and bake for 40 minutes. Remove the foil, sprinkle with the grated cheddar cheese and place back in the oven for a further 5 minutes to melt the cheese.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 532Total Fat: 30gSaturated Fat: 13gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 14gCholesterol: 157mgSodium: 707mgCarbohydrates: 24gFiber: 6gSugar: 9gProtein: 44g