Cherry Ripe Slice
Cherry Ripe Slice
With layers of chocolate and coconut cherries, this delicious cherry ripe slice makes the perfect afternoon treat. If you love Cherry Ripe bars, you are going to absolutely love this slice.
This amazing slice start with a rich, chocolatey based made by simply combining crushed chocolate biscuits with melted butter. Once refrigerated, the butter sets hard making the perfect slice base. Any plain chocolate biscuits will work well as a base, but I always use Chocolate Ripple biscuits.
The middle layer is the coconut filled cherry layer. It’s made by combining glace cherries, desiccated coconut and a tin of sweetened condensed milk. It’s a sweet coconut filling with hints of cherry. I added a little food colouring to give my cherry filling more of a cherry colour, but this step is completely optional.
Finally, the slice is topped with a dark chocolate layer. This layer is a thick chocolate ganache, giving the chocolate a fudgy texture. If you don’t have any cream on hand to make the ganache, simply top the slice with melted chocolate.
How to make Cherry Ripe Slice
Before making a start on this slice, line a slice tin with baking paper and set aside. To make the base of the slice, add the chocolate biscuits to a food processor and process until finely crushed. Alternatively, if you don’t have a food processor add the biscuits to a zip lock bag, seal the bag while ensuring all air is removed from the bag, and bash with a rolling pin until crushed.
Add the melted butter to the crushed biscuits and process again until well combined. Transfer the biscuits mixture to the prepared slice tin and press down firmly with the back of a spoon. Place the slice tin in the fridge to begin hardening while you make a start on the cherry layer.
Clean the food processor bowl to remove any leftover biscuit crumbs. Add the desiccated coconut, tin of sweetened condensed milk, a little red food colouring and 100g of the glace cherries to the food processor. Process until well combined. Stir through the remaining 50g of glace cherries.
Spoon the cherry mixture over the chocolate base and press down evenly with the back of a spoon or your fingers. The mixture will be quite sticky so you might find it easier to press down with damp fingers. Place the slice tin back in the fridge while you prepare the final chocolate layer.
To make the final layer, add the dark chocolate and thickened cream to a microwave safe bowl. Microwave in 30 second bursts, mixing in between each, until the chocolate has melted and both ingredients are well combined.
Spread the chocolate ganache over the slice. You can decorate your slice with small pieces of Cherry Ripe as I have done, but it’s completely optional. Place the slice back in the fridge to set, preferably overnight.
Once the slice has set, slice into small squares and serve. Store any uneaten slice in the fridge in an airtight container.
Cherry Ripe recipe
- 250g packet plain chocolate biscuits
- 90g butter, melted
- 395g tin sweetened condensed milk
- 250g desiccated coconut
- 100g glace cherries
- Red or pink food colouring, optional
- 50g glace cherries, quartered
- 200g dark chocolate
- 50g thickened cream
- Cherry Ripe bar, cut into slices, optional
- Line a slice tin with baking paper and set aside.
- Add the chocolate biscuits to a food processor and process until finely crushed. Add the melted butter and process again until well combined.
- Transfer the biscuit mixture to the lined slice tin and press down firmly with your fingers or the back of a spoon. Place in the fridge to harden while preparing the cherry layer.
- Clean and dry the bowl of the food processor, then add the sweetened condensed milk, desiccated coconut, 100g of glace cherries and food colouring if using. Process until well combined. Stir through the 50g of quartered glace cherries.
- Transfer the cherry mixture to the slice tin and press down with the back of a spoon or damp fingers. The cherry mixture will be sticky. Place in the fridge while preparing the chocolate layer.
- Add the dark chocolate and thickened cream to a microwave safe bowl. Microwave in 30 second bursts, mixing well in between each, until the chocolate has melted and the mixture is smooth and well combined.
- Spread the chocolate mixture over the cherry layer. Decorate with the Cherry Ripe slices if using. Place slice in the fridge to set, preferably overnight.
- Once the slice has set, slice into small squares and serve. Store any uneaten slice in an airtight container in the fridge.