Cheesy Potato Bake
Nothing beats a good potato bake. Soft and fluffy potatoes in a cheesy and creamy sauce would have to be the ultimate side dish. This cheesy potato bake is as good as it gets, and it all comes down to the way to potatoes are cut.
The potatoes in a potato bake are typically sliced, but the key to this amazing potato bake is to instead cut the potatoes into small cubes. The potatoes are first boiled until they begin to soften, and are then baked in the delicious cheesy sauce.
The end result is soft chunks of potato that have soaked up that creamy cheese sauce. It really is the perfect winter side dish. I especially love this potato bake served with a traditional roast dinner.
More great side dishes
Need more side dish inspiration? Look no further than the recipes below:
- Roasted sweet potato quinoa salad
- Sweet potato and zucchini noodles
- Mashed potato casserole
- Roasted parmesan sweet potato
- Easy potato salad
- Roasted sweet potato soup
Tips for making the perfect cheese sauce
These cheese sauce used in this potato bake is well worth mastering. It can be used as the base in vegetable bakes, pasta bakes or as a sauce poured over cooked vegetables. The following tips will help make sure your cheese sauces turns out amazing every time.
- Prepare and measure out your ingredients before making a start. I find this cheese sauce is one of those recipes that moves fast, so it’s a good idea to have all of the ingredients you will need prepped and ready to go.
- Add the milk slowly. This is one of the most important steps in making a cheese sauce. You want to add the milk a tiny bit at a time, and make sure it’s fully incorporated into the butter and flour mixture before adding the next lot of milk. If you don’t go slowly there is a good chance your sauce will end up with lumps of flour.
- Make the sauce over a low heat. This sauce may involve around 10 minutes of standing at the stovetop stirring, but it’s well worth the effort. If the heat is too high, the milk will begin to stick to the bottom of the saucepan and will burn quite quickly.
Cheesy Potato Bake recipe
- 1.5kg potatoes, peeled and diced
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 brown onion, peeled and diced
- 2 tablespoons plain flour
- 2 cups milk
- 1/2 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon chicken stock powder
- 2 cups tasty cheese, grated
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Place the diced potatoes in a large saucepan, cover with water and boil until just tender. Drain and set aside.
- Melt the butter in a medium saucepan over a low heat and add the diced onion. Cook, stirring, until the onion softens. Stir through the flour.
- Add the milk, small amounts at a time, stirring well after each addition. Continue stirring until the sauce has thickened.
- Add the mustard, chicken stock powder and 1 1/2 cups of the grated cheese to the saucepan and stir until well combined and the cheese has melted. Season to taste.
- Combine the sauce and potatoes. Transfer to a baking dish and sprinkle with the remaining 1/2 cup of cheese.
- Bake at 180c for around 30 minutes or until the potato bake is bubbling and golden on top. Serve immediately.