Meatballs are always a huge hit with kids, and I guarantee these Cheesy Meatballs will become their new favourite. They look just like typical meatballs, yet they are packed full of flavour thanks to the addition of grated cheese and my secret ingredient, Fountain Steak sauce. The steak sauce adds a huge boost of flavour that’s hard to describe, but it really does taste great. They are part of our 5 night quick and easy meal plan, which you can check out here.
If you want to boost the veggie content of the meatballs, as I often do with any meals created with mince, you could easily add some grated carrot, sweet potato or zucchini to the meat mixture before you shape it.
These meatballs are great served over pasta, rice or you could even turn them into meatball subs using long rolls, perfect for Friday night fakeaway. I also love to serve them with a simple salad, and a homemade dressing using balsamic vinegar, honey and Fountain Mint sauce.
- 500g beef mince
- 1 onion, finely diced
- 1 teaspoon crushed garlic
- 1 egg
- 3 tablespoons Fountain Steak sauce
- 1 cup grated tasty cheese
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- Salt & pepper
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 700g jar passata (tomato puree)
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- In a large bowl, add the mince, onion, garlic, egg, Fountain Steak sauce, cheese, dried basil and a sprinkle of salt and pepper. Mix until well combined, either using a large spoon or your hands, and shape into meatballs.
- Heat the olive oil in a frying pan over medium heat and cook the meatballs, turning often, until browned all over. Add the jar of passata and dried oregano and simmer for around 10 minutes, or until the meatballs are cooked through. Add extra salt and pepper to taste and serve.