Cheesy Broccoli Soup
Cheesy Broccoli Soup
This cheesy broccoli soup is a delicious, creamy style soup with chunks of carrot and broccoli. The addition of grated tasty cheese gives this soup an amazing cheesy taste that will have you coming back for more.
Winter is almost here, and that means it’s time to start making delicious pots of warming soup. Soups just happen to be one of my favourite cold weather lunches. I love to make a big batch of soup, then freeze it in lunch sized servings ready to pull out of the freezer and defrost in time for lunch.
This is one of those soups that tastes great freshly made, but also freezes and defrosts extremely well.
Does broccoli soup freeze well?
This cheesy broccoli soup freezes extremely well. Let the soup cool down completely before dividing between freezer safe containers and freezing. This broccoli soup will keep for around 6 months in the freezer.
Other winter recipes
Need some more winter recipe inspiration? Look no further than these recipes below:
- Roasted sweet potato soup
- Hot school lunch ideas for winter
- Healthy creamy cauliflower sauce
- Mashed potato casserole
- Sweet potato cottage pie
How to make cheesy broccoli soup
Ready to make a batch of cheesy broccoli soup? To start, heat a little olive oil in a large saucepan over a medium heat and add chopped onion and peeled and chopped carrot. Saute until the onion starts to soften. Add some minced garlic and saute for around 1 minute.
Next, add salted butter to the onion mixture and stir until melted. Add the flour and stir until well combined with the onion mixture. Gradually add the chicken stock and milk, stirring well after each addition. Once all of the liquid has been added, add some chopped broccoli, dijon mustard and season with a little salt and pepper.
Bring the soup to the boil, then reduce the heat and simmer for around 10 minutes, or until the broccoli has softened. Stir through some grated cheese and serve.
Cheesy broccoli soup recipe
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 brown onion, diced
- 2 carrots, peeled and diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 4 tablespoons plain flour
- 3 cups chicken stock
- 2 cups milk
- 1 large broccoli head, chopped into florets
- 1 teaspoon dijon mustard
- Salt and pepper
- 200g tasty cheese, grated
- Heat the olive oil in a large saucepan over a medium heat. Add the onions and carrots and cook, stirring often, until the onions have softened. Add the garlic and cook for another minute.
- Add the butter to the onion mixture and stir through until melted. Add the flour and stir over the heat until well combined.
- Gradually add in the chicken stock followed by the milk, stir well between each addition.
- Add the chopped broccoli, dijon mustard and season with salt and pepper. Bring the soup to the boil, while continuing to stir often. Reduce the heat and allow to simmer for around 10 minutes, or until the broccoli has cooked through.
- Stir through the grated tasty cheese and serve.