These cheesy baked meatballs are one of those easy dinners that the entire family is sure to love. The beef meatballs are baked in a tomato sauce, and topped with plenty of cheese.
The beef meatballs themselves are packed with flavour thanks to the addition of herbs. They are browned, then baked in a simple yet delicious tomato sauce.
What to serve with baked meatballs
The options are endless when it comes to servings these delicious meatballs. Try some of the following ideas:
- Mashed potato
- Crusty white bread
- Steamed vegetables
Easy dinner ideas
After more easy dinner ideas? Look no further than the recipes below:
How to make cheesy baked meatballs
Before making a start on the meatballs, preheat the oven to 180c fan forced.
To make the meatballs, add to a large mixing bowl the beef mince, breadcrumbs, eggs, dried parsley, dried oregano and a pinch of salt and pepper. Mix until all ingredients are well combined. Roll the mixture into meatballs, placing on a plate as you go.
Heat the olive oil in a large frying pan over a medium-high heat. Brown the meatballs, turning to ensure they are brown all over. The meatballs only need to be browned and not cooked through at this point, as they will continue to cook in the oven.
Add the diced carrot and onion to the frying pan and cook, stirring, until the vegetables begin to soften. Add the garlic and cook for 1 minute or until fragrant. Add the entire jar of the tomato passata, the extra dried oregano and the sugar and stir to combine. Bring to a simmer. Return the meatballs along with any juices to the frying pan and stir to coat.
Transfer the meatball mixture to a baking dish and sprinkle over the tasty cheese. Bake for 20 minutes and serve.
Cheesy Baked Meatballs recipe
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 500g beef mince
- 1/2 cup breadcrumbs
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 teaspoon dried parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- Salt and pepper
- 2 carrots, finely diced
- 1 onion, peeled and finely diced
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 680g bottle tomato passata
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano, extra
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 cup grated tasty cheese
- Preheat oven to 180c.
- Add to a large bowl the beed mince, breadcrumbs, eggs, dried parsley, dried oregano and a pinch of salt and pepper. Mix until all ingredients are well combined.
- Roll the mince mixture into meatballs, placing the meatballs on a plate as you go.
- Heat the olive oil in a large frying pan over a medium-high heat. Brown the meatballs, turning regularly. Transfer meatballs to a plate.
- Add the diced carrots and onion to the frying pan and cook, stirring, until they begin to soften. Add the garlic and cook for 1 minute or until fragrant.
- Add the tomato passata, extra dried oregano and sugar to the onion mixture and bring to a simmer. Return the meatballs to the pan and stir to coat.
- Transfer the meatballs mixture to a baking dish and sprinkle over the grated cheese. Bake for 20 minutes. Serve.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 639Total Fat: 39gSaturated Fat: 15gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 18gCholesterol: 235mgSodium: 545mgCarbohydrates: 24gFiber: 4gSugar: 9gProtein: 48g