The cheese and bacon cob loaf is iconic when it comes to entertaining in Australia. A cob loaf is the perfect warm and savoury snack when it comes to feeding a crowd.
This cob loaf is very cheesy, with three types of cheese to be exact, which works perfectly with the added bacon and spring onions. It is so quick and easy to put together, and is sure to please any crowd.
More Australian recipes
After more classic Australian food ideas? Look no further than the recipes below:
Ingredients in cob loaf
A cob loaf is basically a round crusty bread loaf, with the inside removed and replaced with a warm dip. To make this cheese and bacon cob you will need the following ingredients:
- Cob loaf
- Spring onions
- Cream cheese
- Sour cream
- Tasty cheese
- Mozzarella cheese
- Parsley, optional, for serving
This cob loaf is best eaten immediately, and is not suitable for freezing.
- 1 cob loaf
- 4 rashers shortcut bacon, diced
- 250g cream cheese
- 200g sour cream
- 3/4 cup tasty cheese, grated
- 3/4 cup mozzarella, grated
- 2 spring onions, chopped
- Chopped parsley for garnishing, optional
- Preheat the oven to 180c. Use a sharp knife to cut a circle in the top of the cob loaf. Remove the soft bread from the inside of the loaf. Cut the top and inside of the cob into bite sized pieces. Place the cob and the bread pieces on a baking tray and place in the oven to heat while making the filling.
- Cook the diced bacon in a frying pan over a medium-high heat until golden. Add the spring onions, cream cheese, sour cream, tasty cheese and mozzarella. Cook, stirring, until the mixture is hot and cheese has melted.
- Remove the cob from the oven, and spoon in the warm cheese filling. Return to the oven for a further 10 minutes, or until the top of the filling is slightly golden.
- Top the cob with chopped parsley if using, and serve immediately.
- Use your preference of cob loaf. White, wholemeal or multigrain, they all work well.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 12 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 190Total Fat: 17gSaturated Fat: 9gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 6gCholesterol: 51mgSodium: 278mgCarbohydrates: 3gFiber: 0gSugar: 2gProtein: 7g