Chang’s crispy noodle salad is a family favourite. This salad is fresh, crunchy and has the most delicious dressing. It’s so quick and easy, making it the perfect weeknight side dish, and is always great at a BBQ.
Add some grilled chicken to this salad and you have a complete meal, perfect for summer days and nights.
What you need
To make this salad you will need the following ingredients:
For the salad:
- Chinese cabbage (Wombok) – You will need 1/2 a large cabbage, or a whole smaller cabbage.
- Chang’s original fried noodles
- Slivered almonds – Either raw or toasted.
- Spring onions (green onions)
For the dressing:
- Olive oil – Use a good quality extra virgin olive oil.
- White vinegar – Use either white vinegar or white wine vinegar.
- Caster sugar
- Soy sauce
- Sesame oil – The is optional and can be omitted is preferred.
More salad recipes
Step by step instructions
Step 1. Assemble the salad
Add the Chinese cabbage, crispy noodles, slivered almonds and sliced spring onions to a large mixing bowl.
Step 2. Make the dressing
If using a mixing bowl, add the olive oil, white vinegar, caster sugar, soy sauce and sesame oil (if using) to the bowl. Whisk until well combined. Alternatively, add the dressing ingredients to a screw top jar. Ensure the lid is on tight, then shake the jar until all ingredients are well combined.
Step 3. Mix the salad
Pour the dressing over the salad ingredients, and mix until everything is well combined and coated in the dressing. Serve.
This salad is best eaten soon after making, as the noodles will lose their crunch if stored.
This salad is not suitable for freezing.
- 1/2 large Chinese cabbage (Wombok), or 1 small Chinese cabbage, shredded
- 100g Chang's original fried noodles
- 1/2 cup slivered almonds
- 4 spring onions, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup white vinegar
- 2 tablespoons caster sugar
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons sesame oil (optional)
- Add the cabbage, fried noodles, slivered almonds and sliced spring onions to a large mixing bowl.
- To make the salad dressing, add the olive oil, white vinegar, caster sugar, soy sauce and sesame oil to a smal mixing bowl. Whisk until well combined. Alternatively, add the dressing ingredients to a small jar, close the lid tightly and shake until well combined.
- Pour the dressing over the salad ingredients and mix until well combined. Serve.
- The sesame oil is optional, and can be omitted if preferred.
- The original version of the salad dressing has 1/4 cup caster sugar, which I have reduced to 2 tablespoons. Feel fress to increase the sugar back to 1/4 cup if preferred.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 275Total Fat: 25gSaturated Fat: 3gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 21gCholesterol: 5mgSodium: 161mgCarbohydrates: 11gFiber: 2gSugar: 5gProtein: 3g