This caramel slice is such a classic dessert recipe. Nothing beats taking a bite into a piece of caramel slice, starting with the biscuit base, the smooth caramel middle and chocolate top.
While I have featured plenty of slice recipes that I love, this caramel slice takes the top spot as my absolute favourite. It’s such a classic slice that most of us grew up with, and it just never gets old.
There is just something about that soft, sticky middle caramel layer. I could quite happily just eat that caramel by the spoonful.
This delicious slice might look impressive, but it’s actually quite easy to make. The hardest part is waiting for it to set in the fridge!
How to make caramel slice
Ready to dive into this delicious recipe. Before you make a start, line a slice tine with baking paper and set aside, and preheat the oven to 180c.
To make the biscuit base layer, add the butter to a large microwave safe bowl and microwave until melted. Add the sugar and flour to the melted butter, and mix well until all ingredients are well combined and a dough has formed.
Press the dough evenly into the prepared slice tin, using your fingers or the back of a spoon. Place the slice tin in the preheated oven and bake for around 15 minutes, or until the dough has cooked through and is starting to turn golden. Set aside to cool slightly while you make a start on the caramel layer.
To make the caramel, add the extra butter, entire tin of sweetened condensed milk and brown sugar to a saucepan and place over a low heat. Stir until the butter has melted, the continue stirring for around 5 minutes, or until the mixture bubbles and has thickened.
Immediately pour the caramel over the biscuit base, and return to the oven for around 10 minutes, or until golden. Allow to cool completely.
Once the slice has cooled, make a start on the chocolate layer. Add the chocolate and coconut oil (or vegetable oil if you prefer) to a small microwave safe bowl. Microwave in small bursts until the chocolate has melted, stirring in between each burst. Stir until the chocolate is smooth.
Pour the melted chocolate over the cooled slice and spread evenly. Place the slice in the fridge to set, overnight of possible.
Once the slice has set, slice and serve. Store any leftover slice in an airtight container in the fridge.
Other caramel recipes
Love this slice and craving more caramel? I don’t blame you! Here are some more caramel recipes to satisfy those sweet cravings:
- Easy salted caramel cookies
- 4 Ingredient easy caramel fudge
- Chocolate caramel tarts
- Easy caramel slice
- Chocolate caramello slice
- Chocolate caramel microwave self saucing pudding
Caramel slice recipe
- 125g butter
- 1/4 cup white sugar
- 1 cup flour
- 395g tin sweetened condensed milk
- 90g butter, extra
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 200g chocolate
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- Preheat the oven to 180c. Line a slice tin with baking paper and se aside.
- Place the butter to a large microwave safe and microwave until melted. Add the sugar and flour and mix until well combined and a dough has formed.
- Press the dough evenly into the prepared slice tin using the back of a spoon or your fingers. Bake in the preheated oven for 15 minutes or until starting to turn golden. Allow to cool slightly while you make the caramel filling.
- Add the extra butter, sweetened condensed milk and brown sugar to a small saucepan and place over a low heat. Stir until the butter has melted, then continue stirring until the caramel bubbles and thickens.
- Remove the caramel from the heat and pour over the biscuit base. Return to the oven for 10 minutes or until golden. Allow to cool completely.
- Place the chocolate and coconut oil in a small microwave safe bowl and microwave in short bursts until melted. Stir until smooth. Spread the melted chocolate evenly over the cooled caramel and place in the fridge to set completely, overnight if possible.
- Slice and serve. Store any leftover slice in an airtight container in the fridge.