Caesar salad is a classic for a reason, it’s so absolutely delicious. Sure, it may not be the healthiest salad out there, but who cares when it tastes this good!
It’s so easy to put together a homemade caesar salad, and it makes a great side dish or even light meal, especially with the addition of boiled eggs and grilled chicken.
What you need:
To make a caesar salad and the accompanying caesar dressing you will need the following ingredients:
- Cos lettuce (romaine lettuce) – Use iceberg lettuce if cos lettuce is not available.
- Bacon – I like to use shortcut, but feel free to use your favourite cut of bacon.
- Bread slices – I like to thick slices of bread, but use whatever you have handy.
- Olive oil spray – This is used to coat the bread before baking.
- Parmesan cheese – Use freshly grated parmesan, or pre-packaged grated parmesan.
- Mayonnaise – Use a full fat, whole egg mayonnaise.
- Anchovy paste – I find it easier to use anchovy paste, but you can also mash up s few drained anchovys.
- Garlic – Use fresh or jarred.
- Lemon juice – Fresh lemon juice will always taste best, but bottled lemon juice can be used if fresh isn’t available.
- Worcestershire sauce
- Dijon mustard
- Salt and pepper – For seasoning the dressing.
Step by step instructions
Step 1. Make the croutons
Place the cubed bread pieces in a single layer on a baking tray and spray with olive oil. Bake until golden and crispy and set aside.
Step 2. Cook the bacon
Cook the diced bacon in a frying pan until golden and crispy. Set aside on a paper towel lined plate.
Step 3. Make the dressing
Make the dressing by combining all of the dressing ingredients in a small bowl. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
Step 4. Assemble the salad
Assemble the salad on a serving plate or in a serving bowl by layering the lettuce, bacon, croutons and parmesan. Drizzle over the dressing, and serve.
How to store
Store the undressed salad in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 24 hours. The dressing will keep in a sealed jar in the fridge for up to 3 days.
Both the salad and dressing are not suitable for freezing.
- 2 medium cos lettuce, roughly chopped
- 2 - 3 thick bread slices, cubed
- olive oil spray
- 4 rashers bacon, diced
- 1 tablespoon grated parmesan cheese
- 1/2 cup whole egg mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon grated parmesan
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon anchovy paste, or 3 anchovy fillets mashed with a fork
- 1 garlic clove, minced or finely chopped
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Preheat the oven to 180c. Place the cubes of bread on a baking tray and spray with olive oil. Bake for 10 minutes, or until golden and crispy. Set aside.
- Heat a frying pan over a medium-high heat. Cook the bacon, stirring, until crispy and golden. Transfer to a paper towel lined plate and set aside.
- To make the caesar dressing, whisk together in a small bowl the mayonnaise, parmesan, lemon juice, Worcestershire sauce, Dijon, anchovy and garlic. Season with salt and pepper.
- Assemble the salad by layering the lettuce, bacon, croutons and parmesan on a serving plate. Drizzle with the caesar dressing.
- Turn the salad into more of a meal by adding one or more of the following: Boiled eggs, chopped grilled chicken, avocado, grilled prawns, pasta and kale.
- For a thinner dressing, whick through a little milk.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 267Total Fat: 22gSaturated Fat: 5gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 17gCholesterol: 24mgSodium: 634mgCarbohydrates: 9gFiber: 1gSugar: 1gProtein: 8g