There is nothing like simple baking that takes you right back to your childhood, which is exactly what these Butterfly Cupcakes do! They are perfect for kids birthday parties, or even a rainy day activity just because.
There is just something about the combination of light and fluffy cake combined with jam and whipped cream. We used raspberry jam in our cupcakes, but use your favourite variety, they all work well!
What are butterfly cupcakes
Vanilla butterfly cupcakes start with a light and airy plain vanilla cupcake. Once the cupcake has been baked and cooled completely, the top section is cut from the cupcake like a lid.
The hole left in the cupcake is filled with jam and whipped cream. To lid of the cupcake is then cut in half and placed on top of the cupcake like a pair of butterfly wings. The cupcakes are then dusted with icing sugar before serving.
Searching for more delicious cupcake recipes? Take a look at the ideas below:
- Chocolate sticky date cupcakes
- Sultana cupcakes
- Marshmallow brownie cupcakes
- Malteser cupcakes
- Ice cream cone cupcakes
- Lemon sour cream cupcakes
How to make butterfly cupcakes
To start preparing the cupcakes, preheat the oven and prepare your cupcake tins.
Beat together butter and sugar until light and creamy, this will take a few minutes and gives the cakes their lovely fluffy texture. Then, add vanilla extract and the eggs one at a time, beating between each addition.
Add the self raising flour and milk and mix well until the batter is smooth and well combined. Divide the mixture between the cupcake liners and bake.
Once the cupcakes have cooled it’s time to pretty them up! First, use a sharp knife to cut a circle from the top of each cupcake, putting them aside. Spoon a small amount of jam into the newly created hole on top of each cupcake, and top with whipped cream.
Next, cut the cupcake tops in half and arrange on top of the cream in the shape of butterfly wings. This step is optional, but if you like add a little extra jam in between each set of wings.
Dust with a little icing sugar if desired and serve. Store any leftover cupcakes in a container in the fridge.
Butterfly Cupcakes recipe
- 125g butter, softened
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 eggs
- 2 cups self raising flour
- 2/3 cup milk
- 1/2 cup thickened cream, whipped
- 1/4 cup raspberry jam
- Preheat the oven to 180c. Line 2 x 6 hole cupcakes tins with cupcake liners.
- Add the softened butter and sugar to the bowl of a stand mixer and beat until light and fluffy. Add the vanilla extract, then add the eggs one at a time, beating well between each addition. Pour in the flour and milk and mix until smooth and well combined.
- Spoon mixture into cupcake liners and bake for 15 minutes, or until cooked through and springy when touched. Allow to cool completely.
- Cut a round circle from the top of each cupcake using a sharp knife, reserving circles. Spoon a little jam into each cupcake hole and top with whipped cream.
- Cut reserved cupcake tops in half and arrange on top of cupcakes to make butterfly wings. Spoon a little extra jam in between each set of wings if desired.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 12 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 253Total Fat: 13gSaturated Fat: 8gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 4gCholesterol: 66mgSodium: 339mgCarbohydrates: 29gFiber: 1gSugar: 12gProtein: 4g