Simple and easy yet so full of flavour, this beetroot salad is perfect any time of year! Topped with a honey mustard balsamic dressing, this salad makes a great side dish or light lunch. Top with with grilled chicken and you have a more substantial meal.
Make this salad either by roasting beetroots yourself, or buying packaged roasted beetroot, available from the fruit and vegetable section of most supermarkets.
What you need
- Baby spinach leaves – The spinach can be substituted with rocket leaves, beetroot leaves or any other leafy salad greens.
- Roasted beetroot – Roast your own beetroot, or use pre-packaged beetroot found in the fresh produce section of most supermarkets.
- Danish feta – The feta cheese can be substituted with any other soft cheese.
- Walnuts – Substitute with your favourite variety of nuts, or even seeds. Anything that gives a bit of crunch and texture is great on this salad.
- Olive oil – Use a good quality extra virgin olive oil as this makes the base of the salad dressing.
- Balsamic vinegar – This can be substituted with white wine vinegar or apple cider vinegar, however the dressing will not have that balsamic taste and colour.
- Dijon mustard
- Salt and pepper
More salad recipes
- Caesar salad
- Italian pasta salad
- Macaroni salad
- Pesto potato salad
- Watermelon and rocket salad
- Creamy pasta salad
- 120g baby spinach leaves
- 3-4 roasted beetroots, chopped
- 100g Danish feta
- 1/3 cup walnuts, roughly chopped
Honey Mustard Balsamic Dressing
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Assemble the salad in a salad bowl or on a large serving plate by layering the baby spinach leaves and chopped beetroot. Crumble over the feta, and sprinkle over the chopped walnuts.
- To make the honey balsamic dressing, put the olive oil, balsamic vinegar, honey, Dijon mustard and salt and pepper in a small jar with a screw top lid. Shake the jar until the ingredients are well combined. Pour over the salad and serve.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 177Total Fat: 12gSaturated Fat: 3gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 9gCholesterol: 23mgSodium: 230mgCarbohydrates: 15gFiber: 2gSugar: 9gProtein: 4g