This is the best banana cake you will ever taste. As if the cake itself isn’t amazing enough, the cream cheese icing it’s topped with make it even better.
The great thing about this cake is that it’s big enough to feed a crowd. This makes it the perfect cake for your next celebration, and it is sure to be a favourite with everyone.
More cake recipes
Looking for more cake inspiration? Look no further than the below delicious cake recipes:
Ingredients in banana cake
To create this delicious banana cake, you will need to following ingredients:
- Ripe bananas
- White sugar
- Brown sugar
- Vanilla extract
- Ground cinnamon
- Self raising flour
How to make banana cake
To make this banana cake, first preheat the oven to 170c. Line a cake tin with baking paper and set aside. I used a 24cm square cake tin, but any similar sized tin will work, whether square or rectangular or square, or even two round cake tins.
The cake batter can be made using either a stand mixer or a large mixing bowl and hand held beaters. First, add the butter to the bowl along with the white sugar and brown sugar and beat until light and fluffy.
Next, add the eggs, vanilla extract and peeled and mashed bananas. Beat once again until all ingredients are well combined. Add the ground cinnamon along with 1/3 of the self raising flour and 1/3 of the buttermilk and beat on a low speed until just combined. Repeat twice more with the remaining flour and buttermilk.
If you don’t have any buttermilk on hand, it’s easy to make your own with regular milk and either white vinegar or lemon juice. This recipe requires 1 1/2 cups of buttermilk.
To make that amount yourself, first add 1 tablespoon of white vinegar or lemon juice to a measuring jug, then fill with full cream milk until it reaches the 1 1/2 mark on the jug.
Next, pour the cake batter into the prepared cake tin and bake for 50 minutes or until cooked through. Allow to cool completely in the tin.
Once the cake has cooled, ice with the cream cheese icing and cut into squares to serve. Store any uneaten cake in an airtight container in the fridge.
How to make cream cheese icing
To make the perfect cream cheese icing to top this banana cake, you will need the following ingredients:
- Cream cheese
- Vanilla extract
- Icing sugar
To make this cream cheese icing, first beat together the softened cream cheese and butter either by hand or using a stand mixer. Once the cream cheese and butter are well combined, add the icing sugar and vanilla extract. Beat slowly at first until the icing sugar is incorporated into the either ingredients, then beat at a higher speed until smooth and fluffy.
Banana Cake recipe
- 170g butter, softened
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 large bananas, peeled and mashed
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 3 cups self raising flour
- 1 1/2 cups buttermilk
- 250g cream cheese, softened
- 2 tablespoons butter, extra, softened
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract, extra
- 1 1/2 cups icing sugar
- Preheat the oven to 170c. Line a 24cm square or similar cake tin with baking paper and set aside.
- Add the softened butter, white sugar and brown sugar to the bowl of a stand mixer and beat until light and fluffy.
- Add the eggs, vanilla extract and mashed banana to the stand mixer and beat until well combined.
- Add 1/3 of the self raising flour and 1/3 of the buttermilk and beat on a low speed until just combined. Repeat twice more with the remaining flour and buttermilk.
- Pour the cake batter into the prepared cake tin and bake for around 50 minutes or until cooked through. Allow to cool completely before removing from tin.
- To make the cream cheese icing, add the softened cream cheese and softened extra butter to a stand mixer and beat until well combined. Add the extra vanilla extract and icing sugar and beat on a low speed until the icing sugar is incorporated. Increase to a higher speed and beat until the icing is fluffy.
- Spread the icing on the cooled cake and serve. Store any leftover cake in an airtight container in the fridge.