Baked rice pudding is one of those classic desserts that is perfect for the winter months. Nothing beats a warm bowl of rice pudding while snuggling under a blanket.
If you are not familiar with rice pudding, it’s basically a pudding made using rice, milk, sugar and butter. Everything is mixed in the dish it is baked in, so washing up afterwards is easy. It’s such a classic, budget friendly dish that is sure to please the entire family.
More warming pudding recipes
Want more pudding inspiration for those cold winter nights? These warming pudding recipe will not disappoint:
- Sticky date pudding
- Chocolate caramel microwave self saucing pudding
- Apple and golden syrup microwave pudding
- Golden syrup dumplings
Ingredients in baked rice pudding
Before you begin this recipe, check that you have the following ingredients on hand. The ingredients typically used in a rice pudding are pantry staples, so chances are you already have everything on hand:
- Short grain rice, I used aborio rice but any will do
- White sugar
- Vanilla extract
- Ground Cinnamon
How to make baked rice pudding
All you need to make this delicious warming pudding is a baking dish, any will do, and your ingredients. Before making a start, preheat your oven to 160c fan forced.
Grab your baking dish and add the rice, milk, white sugar, melted butter, vanilla extract and ground cinnamon. Stir everything together with a spoon until well combined.
Transfer the baking dish to the oven and bake for around 1 1/2 hours, or until the rice is tender. 1/2 hour into the cooking time, give the pudding a good stir, then place back in the oven and leave to bake for the remaining 1 hour.
Once the rice is tender and the pudding is golden in top, remove from the oven and serve while warm.
Any remaining pudding can be stored in an airtight container. Be sure to place the leftover rice pudding into the fridge while still hot, and reheat until piping hot once ready to eat.
Baked Rice Pudding recipe
- 3/4 cup aborio rice, or other short grain rice
- 3 1/4 cups milk
- 1/4 cup white sugar
- 40g butter, melted
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Preheat the oven to 160c.
- Add the rice, milk, sugar, melted butter, vanilla extract and ground cinnamon to a baking dish and stir until well combined.
- Place the baking dish in the oven. Bake for 1/2 hour, then give the pudding a good stir. Return the pudding to the oven and bake for a further 1 hour, or until the rice is tender and the pudding is golden on top.
- Serve while hot.