Bacon and egg pie is an absolute classic recipe in New Zealand. This pie is incredibly versatile, being perfect to serve for breakfast, lunch or even dinner. It can be served warm or cold, also making it a great picnic option.
This pie features delicious bacon with both whole and whisked eggs, and a little cheese for even more flavour. This pie is sure to be as much of a hit with your family as it is with mine!
Why you are going to love this recipe
- It’s versatile – Serve it as a snack or for breakfast, lunch or dinner.
- It’s budget friendly – You only need a few basic ingredients to whip up a bacon and egg pie.
- It can be frozen! – Make one or more pies and freeze either in slices or whole. It’s ready to grab out of the freezer when you need a meal in a hurry!
What you need
To make this delicious pie you will need the following ingredients:
- Olive oil – For frying the bacon and onion. Feel free to substitute for your preferred cooking oil.
- Onion – A large brown onion was used in this recipe, but this can be substituted for a red onion or even a thinly sliced leek.
- Bacon – I used shortcut bacon, but feel free to use your favourite cut of bacon.
- Eggs – Large sized eggs are used in this pie.
- Tasty cheese – Tasty cheese was used for it’s mild flavour, but use your preferred cheese to tailor the pie to your tastes.
- Milk – Full fat milk was used, but any variety of milk will do. The milk can also be substituted for 2 tablespoons cream.
- Fresh parsley – If fresh parsley is not available, use 2 teaspoons of dried parsley.
- Salt and pepper – Because everything tastes better seasoned with salt and pepper.
- Puff pastry – Use 2 sheets of puff pastry from the freezer section of your supermarket.
More recipes using pastry
- Easy vanilla slice
- Spinach and ricotta rolls
- Apricot custard Danish pastries
- Nutella Christmas tree
- Pie maker vanilla slice
- Healthy sausage rolls
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large onion, peeled and finely diced
- 4 rashers shortcut bacon, diced
- 9 eggs (6 whole, 2 scrambled and 1 for brushing)
- 1/2 cup grated tasty cheese
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 2 tablespoons milk
- Salt and pepper
- 2 sheets frozen puff pastry, thawed
- Preheat the oven to 180c.
- Heat the olive oil in a frying pan over a medium-high heat and cook the onion and bacon, stirring, until the onion has softened. Set aside.
- Add to a small mixing bowl 2 of the eggs, the grated cheese, parsley, milk and salt and pepper. Whisk together with a fork until well combined.
- Line a round pie dish with 1 sheet of puff pastry. Top with half of the onion mixture, then crack over 6 of the eggs. Pour over the whisked egg mixture, then top with the remaining onion mixture.
- Cover the pie with the remaining pastry sheet. Whisk the last egg in a small bowl, then use a pastry brush to brush over the pastry.
- Bake the pie for 40 minutes, covering with foil partway through the cooking time if the pastry is browning too quickly.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 297Total Fat: 21gSaturated Fat: 7gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 13gCholesterol: 303mgSodium: 477mgCarbohydrates: 8gFiber: 1gSugar: 2gProtein: 18g