It’s hard to stop at just one piece of this apple sour cream slice (or apple sour cream cake). It start with a cake-like base, with no cake mix, and is then topped with sweet apple slices and smooth sour cream. This really is one delicious slice.
This recipe is made using fresh apples, but can be made even easier by using a 410g tin of apple slice in place of the 2 fresh apples. Top the finished slice with a sprinkling of cinnamon and you have the perfect afternoon treat.
More slice recipes
Searching for more slice recipes? You are definitely in the right place! Take a look at the slice recipes below:
- Lemon weetbix slice
- Caramilk rice bubble slice
- Caramilk vanilla slice
- Raspberry coconut jam slice
- Ginger crunch slice
- Anzac slice
- Pie maker vanilla slice
Ingredients in apple sour cream slice
Ready to whip up some slice? You will need the following ingredients:
- Butter – Salted butter was used in this recipe, but unsalted butter can also be used.
- White sugar – Ordinary white sugar, or granulated sugar, is used to make the cake base.
- Self raising flour – Make your own self raising flour by combining 1 cup of plain flour with 1 teaspoon of baking powder.
- Desiccated coconut
- Vanilla extract – This can be substituted with vanilla essence.
- Apples – Sweet red apples were used in this slice, but green apples could also be used.
- Egg – A large sized egg was used in this recipe.
- Sour cream – Use a full fat sour cream, as the higher fat content will help the slice set firmer.
Step by step instructions
Before making a start on the recipe, first preheat the oven to 180c fan forced. Line a slice tin with baking paper and set aside.
Add the softened butter and white sugar to the bowl of a stand mixer. Beat together until light and fluffy. Add the self raising flour, desiccated coconut and vanilla extract, and mix until well combined.
Press the mixture firmly into the prepared slice tin. Bake for 15 minutes or until just starting to turn golden. Arrange the peeled, cored and sliced apples over the cake base. Combine the sour cream and egg, and pour over the apple slices. Sprinkle over the cinnamon and bake for a further 15 minutes, or until the sour cream layer has set.
Leave the slice to cool completely in the tin before slicing and serving. Store the slice in an airtight container in the fridge.
Store this slice in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 5 days.
This slice is not suitable for freezing.
- 125g butter, softened
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1 cup self raising flour
- 1 cup desiccated coconut
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 apples
- 1 egg
- 300ml sour cream
- Cinnamon, for sprinkling
- Line a slice tin with baking paper. Preheat the oven to 180c.
- Add the butter and sugar to the bowl of a stand mixer and beat until light and fluffy. Add the flour, coconut and vanilla extract and mix until well combined.
- Press the mixture firmly into the slice tin. Bake for around 15 minutes or until turning slightly golden.
- Peel, core and slice the apples and place in a single layer over the base.
- Combine the egg and sour cream in a small bowl. Pour over the apple layer, sprinkle with cinnamon and return to the oven for a further 15 minutes, or until the sour cream layer has set.
- Allow to cool in the tin before slicing.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 18 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 162Total Fat: 10gSaturated Fat: 6gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 3gCholesterol: 34mgSodium: 150mgCarbohydrates: 17gFiber: 1gSugar: 10gProtein: 2g