Apple Crumble Muffins
These apple crumble muffins just just like apple crumble, but in the form of a muffin! They start with a deliciously soft muffin made using my basic muffin recipe, which is packed full with pieces of apple. They are then topped with a sweet and crispy crumble topping. It’s impossible to stop at just one of these muffins.
This recipe makes 12 good sized muffins, but if you can’t get through them all while they are still fresh they freeze perfectly. Freeze them the day they are baked and they will defrost tasting just as fresh.
I just love muffins. They make a great school lunchbox treat, and they are also perfect to have in the freezer, ready to defrost at a moments notice. For more muffin inspiration, check out the muffin recipes below:
- Chocolate banana muffins
- Banana Caramilk muffins
- Blueberry muffins
- Milo muffins
- Savoury muffins
- Sugar free banana muffins
Ingredients in apple crumble muffins
Ready to make a batch of these super delicious apple crumble muffins? You will need the following ingredients:
For the apple muffins
- Apples – any variety will work, I used pink lady apples
- Self raising flour
- White sugar
- Canola or vegetable oil
For the crumble topping
- Plain flour
- Melted butter
- Raw sugar – any sugar will work fine, but I wanted a little additional crunch in my crumble
How to make apple crumble muffins
Before making a start on the muffin batter, first preheat the oven to 180c. Line 2 x 6 hole muffins tins with cupcake liners and set aside.
As with all muffin recipes, first mix together the dry ingredients. Add the chopped apple pieces, self raising flour and white sugar to a large mixing bowl and mix until well combined.
Next, mix the wet ingredients in a seperate bowl. Add to a small mixing bowl the milk, canola or vegetable oil and the egg. Whisk using a fork until well combined.
Combine the two mixture by adding the wet ingredients to the bowl with the dry ingredients. Mix until ingredients are JUST combined. Mixing until the ingredients are only just combined is a very important step, as over mixing will result in dry, dense muffins. Divide the muffin mixture between the muffin tins.
To make the crumble topping, combine the plain flour, melted butter and raw sugar. Mix until well combined. The mixture will resemble a dough at this point. Use your fingers to crumble the mixture evenly over the muffin batter. Bake the muffins for 20 minutes, or until golden and cooked through.
Apple Crumble Muffins recipe
- 2 apples, cored and chopped into small pieces
- 2 cups self raising flour
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup plain flour
- 60g butter, melted
- 2 tablespoons raw sugar
- Preheat the oven to 180c. Line 2 x 6 hole muffin tins with cupcake liners and set aside.
- Add to a large mixing bowl the chopped apples, self raising flour and white sugar. Mix until well combined.
- In another smaller bowl, add the milk, canola oil and the egg, and whisk with a fork until well combined.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients, and mix until just combined. Divide the mixture evenly between the muffin tins.
- To make the crumble topping, mix together in a small bowl the plain flour, melted butter and raw sugar. Use your fingers to crumble the mixture over the muffins.
- Bake the muffins for around 20 minutes, or until cooked through. Allow to cool before serving.
You can peel the apples before chopping if you prefer, or alternatively grate the apples, with or without their skin.
If you don't have raw sugar on hand for the crumble topping, substitute with ordinary white sugar.
Store the muffins in an airtight container at room temperature. These muffins can also be frozen.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 12 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 280Total Fat: 14gSaturated Fat: 4gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 10gCholesterol: 28mgSodium: 298mgCarbohydrates: 35gFiber: 1gSugar: 13gProtein: 4g