Vanilla Sponge Cake Slice
This is one of the easiest sponge cake recipes around, but with a twist. Instead of being baked in a round cake tin like most sponge cakes, it’s baked in a slice tin and served as a slice. This recipe only calls for 5 ingredients, and is a one bowl recipe, no creaming of butter and sugar required. It’s also a great recipe for those times you have cream sitting in the fridge that’s fast reaching it’s expiry date.
- 2 eggs
- 1 ½ cups thickened cream
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 ½ cups sugar
- 2 cups self raising flour
- Preheat oven to 180c. Line a slice tin with baking paper.
- Place the eggs, cream, vanilla and sugar in a bowl and whisk until well combined. Add the flour and whisk until just combined.
- Pour into the prepared slice tin, smoothing out the top.
- Bake for 35 minutes. Cool in tin for 5 minutes before turning onto a cooling rack to cool completely.
- Ice with vanilla cream.