Homemade Gummy Bears
Gummy bears are such a fun treat, but they are even more fun when you make them yourself. They are actually surprisingly easy to make, you only need 3 ingredients and two gummy bear moulds, which you can find here. This recipe uses a packet of jelly crystals, which makes it easy to create a range of gummy bear flavours. I used the new Aeroplane Jelly blue glitter jelly, and while it’s hard to see in the photo above the gummy bears turned out very sparkly, which kids just love. If you don’t have glitter jelly on hand any ordinary packet of jelly crystals will do.
To make the gummy bear mixture, first place your two gummy bear moulds on a baking tray, and set aside. This step is essential given how flexible the silicone moulds are, they need a nice steady base ready to transfer them to the fridge. Fill a large saucepan 1/3 of the way with water and bring to a gentle boil on the stovetop.
Meanwhile, it’s time to put together the gummy bear mixture. Take a glass measuring cup and add 1/3 of a cup of cold water. Next, slowly add 5 teaspoons of gelatine powder and mix gently with a fork. Add the entire packet of jelly crystals and stir once again with the fork until well combined. Take care not to stir the mixture too quickly, as this will incorporate air bubbles which will eventually show in your finished gummy bears. The mixture will be quite thick at this point.
Carefully place the measuring jug into the saucepan of water and stir slowly until the mixture takes on a syrupy texture. Using a dropper, begin to fill the moulds with mixture. Place in the fridge for at least one hour to set. Once set, the gummy bears should easily pop out of the mould. Store finished gummy bears in the fridge.
- 1/3 cup cold water
- 5 teaspoons gelatine powder
- 1 packet glitter jelly, or jelly of your choice
- Place 2 x gummy bear moulds on a baking tray and set aside.
- Fill a large saucepan 1/3 of the way up the sides with water and bring to a gentle boil.
- Add the cold water to a glass measuring jug. Slowly add the gelatine powder and stir gently with a fork until the powder has dissolved. Add the packet of jelly crystals and mix again with the fork until well combined. The mixture will be quite thick at this point.
- Carefully place the measuring jug into the saucepan of water and stir slowly until the mixture takes on a syrupy texture.
- Using a syringe, fill the gummy bear moulds with the mixture and place in the fridge for at least 1 hour to set. Once set, the gummy bears should easily pop out of the moulds.