Healthy Chocolate Almond Cake
This healthy chocolate almond cake is one of those recipes that will change our life, and you will make it over and over again for years to come. It tastes amazing, yet it’s actually kind of healthy. It contains no refined sugar, no flour and no butter. While there is dairy in my version because of the dark chocolate I used, you could just as easily make it dairy free by using a dairy free brand of chocolate.
Not only is this cake absolutely delicious, it is also extremely easy to make. First, preheat the oven and prepare a round baking tin. Then, take a large microwave safe mixing bowl and add the dark chocolate, coconut oil, rice malt syrup and vanilla extract. Melt in the microwave, then give it a good stir until the mixture is well combined. Next, add the eggs and stir once again until the eggs are mixed well through the chocolate mixture. Finally, add the almond meals and mix until smooth and well combined. Pour the mixture into the prepared baking tin and bake for around 25 minutes. The middle will still be a little soft but that’s ok, it will give it a lovely fudgy texture once it cools down. Allow to cool in the tin.
While the cake is cooling, it’s time to prepare the chocolate ganache. Add the extra dark chocolate and cream to another microwave safe bowl, and microwave until melted. Give the mixture a good stir until it is glossy and well combined. Set aside to thicken. Once the cake has cooled and the ganache has thickened, spread the ganache evenly over the cake and serve.
- 200g dark chocolate
- 100g coconut oil (or butter)
- 1/4 cup rice malt syrup (or honey or white sugar)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 5 eggs
- 2 cups almond meal
- 100g dark chocolate, extra
- 1/4 cup thickened cream (or coconut cream)
- Preheat oven to 160c. Grease a round cake tin and set aside.
- Add the dark chocolate, coconut oil, rice malt syrup and vanilla extract to a large, microwave safe bowl. Microwave for 1 minute, or until the chocolate has melted. Stir until smooth.
- Add the eggs to the chocolate mixture and stir until well combined. Add the almond meal and once again stir until mixture is smooth and well combined.
- Pour the cake mixture into the prepared cake tin and bake for 25 minutes, or until cooked. The cake should still be slightly soft in the centre, which will give the cake a lovely fudgy texture. Allow the cake to cool before removing from tin.
- Meanwhile, in another microwave safe bowl, add the extra dark chocolate and cream and microwave until the chocolate has melted. Stir until the ganache is smooth. Allow the ganache to cool, before spreading on the cake.