Easy Vanilla Slice
Just like the title suggests, this Easy Vanilla Slice is one of the easiest ways to make vanilla slice. If you would prefer not to use puff pastry for the top and bottom layers of the slice, many of our readers have suggested instead using Sao crackers. Just layer the cracker in a slice tin, spread the vanilla filling over the base, and then top with another layer of crackers. For a little extra kick of flavour, I like to add a few drops of passion fruit flavouring to the icing, and sprinkle with desiccated coconut.
To make this delicious slice, first lightly grease two oven trays and place one sheet of thawed puff pastry on each, then prick all over with a fork. Bake in the oven for around 20 minutes, or until the are golden and puffed. Set the pastry aside to cool before making a start on the vanilla filling.
To make the filling, first whip some thickened cream in a stand mixer or with hand held beaters until stiff peaks form, then set aside. Mix some vanilla pudding mix with milk in another bowl using a whisk until the mixture thickens. Quickly fold the whipped cream into the vanilla pudding mix, then spread over one of the cooled pastry sheets, topping with the other sheet. Finally, to make the icing mix some icing sugar with a little butter and water until the icing is a spreadable consistency, then spread over the top of the vanilla slice. Slice and enjoy!
Want more? Take a look at our 14 Easy Slice Recipes.
- 2 Sheets Puff Pastry
- 300 ml Thickened Cream
- 2 x 100g Packets Instant Vanilla Pudding Mix
- 500 ml Milk
- 1 1/2 Cups Icing Sugar
- 1 Tablespoon Soft Butter
- 2 Tablespoons Boiling Water
- Preheat the oven to 180c. Put pastry sheets onto two lightly greased baking trays & prick all over with a fork. Bake for 20 minutes, until they are puffed and golden brown. Remove from oven and set aside to cool.
- Whip cream with electric beater until soft peaks form, put aside in the fridge. Put vanilla pudding mix and milk in another bowl and stir using wire whisk until thickened.
- Quickly fold the whipped cream into the pudding mix then spread over the top side of one of the pastry sheets. Put the other sheet on top, flat side up.
- Sift icing sugar into a bowl and stir in the butter and water. Spread over the top of the slice.
HAVE YOU MADE THIS EASY VANILLA SLICE? LET US KNOW YOUR THOUGHTS IN THE COMMENTS BELOW.