Easter Baked Donuts
I love donuts (who doesn’t), and the more colourful and sprinkled the better. But I don’t own a deep fryer so had never experimented with making my own, until I found a donut pan perfect for baking donuts in the oven. Sure, baked donut don’t have quite the same texture as deep fried versions, but they are still just as delicious.
Baked donuts are also extremely easy to make. Just make up a simple donut batter, pipe or spoon the batter into the donut pan and bake. Then, let the donuts cool in the pan before removing and decorating to your hearts content. Kids especially love decorating their own donuts with different coloured icings, sprinkles and even lollies.
With Easter coming up, I thought it would be fun to make Easter themed versions of my baked donuts. I made a basic batch of baked donuts, then iced them in pastel colours and topped them with speckled Easter eggs, fluffy mini marshmallows and of course sprinkles.
- 1 cup self raising flour
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 egg
- 100ml milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup icing sugar
- 2 tablespoons boiling water
- Mini marshmallows, sprinkles and speckled Easter eggs
- Preheat the oven to 180c. Spray a donut pan with nonstick cooking spray and set aside.
- Add the self raising flour and sugar to a large mixing bowl and stir to combine.
- Add the butter, egg, milk and vanilla extract to a small mixing bowl and whisk until well combined.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and stir until combined, but try not to stir the batter too much.
- Either spoon the batter into the donut pan, or transfer the batter to a zip lock bag, snip a corner and pipe batter into the donut pan.
- Bake the donuts for around 10 minutes, or until just starting to colour. Allow to cool in pan.
- To make the icing, mix the icing sugar and water together in a small mixing bowl until well combined, adding extra water if needed, and adding any food colouring if using.
- Dip the donuts into the icing or spoon icing onto donuts, then decorate with marshmallows, sprinkles and speckled Easter eggs.